Sunday 3 May 2009

Consistency

Last week the subject of my post was proofreading. This week I'm addressing an important sub-category. "Everything else is irrelevant. What matters is consistency", as the logicians say. I find it interesting that a moderate glance though the history of mathematics leads me to deduce that more logicians went mad than any other type of mathematician?
Anyway, what do I mean by consistency? For my book, it was very important to have consistency of style. To consider just two examples, use of italics, and capitalisation should be the same throughout the book.
With respect to italics, I confined their use to the names of particular planes, trains, ships and cars, and the names of newspapers and magazines. As part of my proofreading, I did a special pass through the book looking for these - since my book often refers either to the foundation of publications, or newspaper reports, and to achievements related to transport, there were a lot of references to track down and italicise.
Capitalisation was even more of a problem. Since my book deals with achievements of people, and I have tried to cover all spheres of human achievement, I refer to political leaders frequently. Should I capitalise 'President' or 'Prime Minister'? I decided against, except where the term immediately precedes the name of the office holder - in the USA, 'President' can be a title, but in the UK, 'Prime Minister' isn't. Overall, I found myself taking out a lot of capitals, and not only is the style more consistent, and more correct, but also more readable. The book has many more capitals than one would typically find in a modern novel, since there are lots of names of individuals, and also names of books and films which require capitals anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment