Sunday 17 May 2009

Two items of news

The first item is that Search inside took about two days after last week's post to appear on www.amazon.com. However, I am still waiting to find the title I put through lulu.com on *any* other bookselling website. I'm keeping regular tabs on www.amazon.co.uk, www.barnesandnoble.com, www.blackwell.co.uk, and www.waterstones.com (a UK site, despite the .com suffix). The title I posted hasn't shown up on any of them yet. I regard this as quite a serious shortcoming, since lulu.com claim that the book will be listed on a variety of sites. It may just be a matter of patience, of course...

The second item of news is that I've seen a landmark in print-on-demand - one which may change the direction I go. Blackwells bookshop in London's Charing Cross Road now have an 'Expresso Book Machine', which can print a book on demand for purchase. The day when we can browse an on-line catalogue in the shop and have the book printed just got a lot closer.

You can check it out at http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/editorial/browse/espresso.jsp

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin. Thanks for the link to the Blackwell's story. It's been a rocky road for this machine - we were promised one here in Oxford last Autumn, given a date and everything and then not told it didn't happen, so I turned up waiting to see the whizzy new contraption only to be disappointed. It's an exciting development, though - and if paper still reigns, I'm sure it's the future, like I said at
    http://www.streamwriting.com/blog/
    Very best
    Dan

    ReplyDelete